FINAL SCORE: Christopher Newport 8, Apprentice School 0
WHERE: Captains Park – Newport News, Va.
RECORDS: Apprentice School 25-5, Christopher Newport 25-8-1
RANKINGS: Apprentice School (#1-USCAA), Christopher Newport (#8 - D3baseball.com)
IN BRIEF: Jordan Cowles had three of the four hits for the Apprentice School on Thursday as they fell to Christopher Newport University 8-0.
- The Apprentice School had scoring options in the first two innings as Trevin Wilson singled and stole second in the first. Chris Aldridge reached on an error and stole second before both were stranded. In the second, Cowles started with a double but was then doubled off on a fly ball to centerfield.
- CNU scored one in the first without a hit as Justin Weaver walked and stole second before moving up on a sacrifice bunt and scoring on a groundout. In the third, Weaver doubled in a pair to push the lead to 3-0.
- The Builders got a pair of runners on in the fourth as Cody Seals drew a one-out walk and advanced on a Cowles single. An infield fly and fielders choice ended the inning .
- CNU pitching turned it up a notch as they retired 10 straight Builders over three-plus innings. Wilson reached on an error and Brock Harris followed up by reaching on an error with one out in the eighth. A fly out and ground out ended that threat.
- Taylor Gomer took the loss throwing 3.2 innings and walking four while allowing five hits and three runs. His record drops to 3-2 on the year.
- The four hits equals the second lowest total of the season for the Builders, as they had four hits against Penn State Greater Allegheny and Fulton-Montgomery College.
- The three hits for Cowles was a season-high for him.
- The loss snapped a seven-game winning streak for the Builders.
Apprentice School continues a four-game road swing as they travel to Petersburg on Tuesday to face NCAA Division II Virginia State University at 2 pm.