FINAL SCORE: Virginia State 6, Apprentice School 4
WHERE: Whaley-Colbert Field – Ettrick, Va.
RECORDS: Apprentice School 25-6, Va. State 19-16
RANKING: Apprentice School (#1 USCAA)
IN BRIEF: Chris Aldridge drove in three runs, two on a home run in the first inning, but the Apprentice School lost to NCAA Division II Virginia State 6-4 on Tuesday.
- The Builders put two runs on the board quickly in the first inning as with one out Brock Harris beat out an infield single. Aldridge followed and took a 1-1 pitch over the fence in right field for a two-run home run.
- Virginia State sent nine batters to the plate in the first inning and scored five runs. Four of those came with two outs as a two-run triple from William Tapp gave the Trojans a 3-2 lead that they never relinquished. In the second a sacrifice fly from John McCarty scored Nicholas Christopher to put the hosts up 6-2.
- Apprentice School pushed a run across in the fifth as Chris Scarola opened with a double. With Zach Harding up, Scarola attempted to steal third but hesitated between bases. The catcher's throw in attempt to get Scarola sailed into left field allowing him to score.
- In the eighth, the Builders scored another run as Trevin Wilson started with a single and stole second. Harris advanced him to third on a groundout before Aldridge drove in his third run of the day with a sacrifice fly to center.
- Chris Perry pitched well in relief of starter Chad Gurganus as he threw the final seven innings and allowed five hits, one unearned run and struck out four. Harris and Aldridge had two hits apiece for the Builders.
- Gurganus took the loss for the Builders as he threw the first inning and gave up five runs. The loss was the first of his collegiate career for the junior from Gates County, NC. He was 3-0 in his freshman season before sitting out the 2012 campaign.
- The two-run home run for Aldridge was the second of his career. He hit a home run at Salisbury in a loss during his freshman season on Mar. 2, 2011.
- Wilson and Aldridge are making a run at the single season stolen base record of 39 by Chris Balus in 2002. Wilson leads Aldridge 22-21 to sit them in fourth and tied for fifth respectively in the single season listings.
- As a team, the Builders have 82 stolen bases this year which ranks them fourth in the single season category since 1990. The record is 109 from the 2002 season. They are two away from third and six away from tying the second best total.
- The loss to Virginia State snapped a nine-game winning streak by the Builders over the Trojans. The last loss was April 5, 2004 at Virginia State as the hosts won 4-1.
The Builders conclude a road swing on Wednesday when they travel to College of the Albemarle in Elizabeth City, NC for a 4 pm first-pitch at Knobbs Creek Park.