FINAL SCORE: Christopher Newport 4, Apprentice School 2 (10)
WHERE: War Memorial Stadium – Hampton, VA
RECORDS: Christopher Newport 29-12-1; Apprentice School 27-8
RANKINGS: Apprentice School (#1 USCAA); Christopher Newport (#17 D3baseball.com)
Andy Viands two-run single in the top of the tenth put visiting Christopher Newport ahead to stay as they defeated Apprentice School 4-2 in 10 innings.
- The Apprentice School scored a run in the bottom of the first inning as Chris Aldridge doubled and went to third as the right fielder bobbled the ball. Devorn Lake then followed with a double to left-center to score Aldridge.
- In the fifth, the Builders pushed the advantage to 2-0 as Chris Scarola started with a single and went to second on a single by Lake. Brock Harris reached on an error to load the bases with two outs before Jordan Cowles ripped a single off the pitchers glove to plate Scarola for the 2-0 lead.
- The Captains scored in the sixth as Justin Weaver doubled to start the inning. He advanced on a wild pitch and scored on a groundout from Christopher McDougal.
- In the eighth, Weaver walked and went to second on a single by McDougal. Jacob Houston then beat out an infield single and an errant throw allowed the Captains to tie the game 2-2.
- In the tenth, Billy Steel was hit by a pitch to start the inning and went to second on a single by Weaver. An infield single by Houston loaded the bases. Viandis followed a strikeout with a single up the middle to score two for the lead and win.
BEHIND THE NUMBERS
- The Builders had 13 hits on the day and left 14 runners on base.
- Sam Massie took the loss throwing 2.1 innings and allowing five hits and two runs.
- Lake was 3-for-4 to lead the Builders at the plate. Scarola, Aldridge and Harris had two hits each.
- Ryland Edwards pitched well but took a no-decision as he went 7.2 allowing four hits, two runs (one earned) and striking out three.
Apprentice School faces Virginia Wesleyan College on Monday at 5 pm.