FINAL SCORE: Apprentice 8, Rappahannock CC 4
WHERE: War Memorial Stadium – Hampton, VA
RECORDS: Apprentice 31-8, Rappahannock 15-22
RANKINGS: Apprentice School (#2 USCAA)
IN BRIEF: Sophomore Ryan Hendrickson had a two-run double to highlight a five-run sixth inning as the Apprentice School defeated Rappahannock CC 8-4 on Wednesday for its school record 31st win of the season.
- Visiting Rappahannock CC jumped on the board early with a run in the fourth on a Josh Mason sacrifice fly to score Ricky Castro who started the inning with a walk.
- In the fifth, they plated two more runs as the Builders committed two errors in the inning. Castro drove in the second run with a sacrifice fly scoring Marcus Bumbrey who had reached on an error.
- The Gulls pushed the advantage to 4-0 in the top of the sixth as Bumbrey drew a bases loaded walk to score Mason who earlier singled.
- Apprentice School broke through the scoreless drought in a big way with a five-run bottom of the sixth. Chris Aldridge singled and scored as Devorn Lake doubled down the left field line. Cody Seals followed with a double down the left field line to score Lake and cut the deficit in half at 4-2. After a bunt single from Brock Harris, Hendrickson blasted a double to the left field corner to score Seals and Harris to tie the game. He scored on a wild pitch two batters later to put the Builders up 5-4.
- In the bottom of the seventh, the Builders scored three more runs. After two outs, Hendrickson singled up the middle and stole second. Following a walk to Lee Rossi, Zach Harding singled through the left side of the infield to score Hendrickson and Devorn Lake who started the inning with a single.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Similar to their 9-6 win on Monday night over Virginia Wesleyan College, the Builders put together two big innings. Against the Marlins it was a pair of four-run innings in the fifth and sixth to take a lead. On Wednesday it was a five-run sixth and a three-run seventh.
- In the sixth inning, the first seven batters reached base on hits. Singles by Aldridge, Harris, Rossi and Harding along with run scoring doubles from Lake, Hendrickson and Seals pushed the Builders to a 5-4 lead after six complete.
- Lake and Hendrickson had three hits each as Lake was 3-for-5 with two runs scored and one driven in, while Hendrickson was 3-for-3 with two runs scored and two driven in. Harris, Rossi and Harding were 2-for-4 apiece as the Builders had 15 hits on the day.
- Chad Gurganus earned the win throwing 2.2 innings of relief of starter Ryland Edwards. Gurganus, who now has a 4-1 record, allowed two hits, walked two and struck out two.
- Rappahannock had chances to get back into the game in the eighth and ninth innings. In the eighth, with two outs Bumbrey singled and went to third as Xavier Barriere doubled to right field. Chris Perry, who pitched the eighth, squeezed a groundout by Castro to close that threat.
- Sam Massie pitched the ninth as he allowed a double by Jacob Stephens and a pair of walks to load the bases. But he got Chris Carter to strike out swinging to end the game.
- The win puts the Builders at 31-8 on the year which tops the 2004 team (30-12) and the 2007 U.S. Collegiate Athletic Association National Champion team (30-15) for most wins in school history.
Senior Day for the Builders will be on Monday, April 29 when they host Thomas Nelson CC in a 4:30 pm start.