FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 8, Thomas Nelson CC 2
WHERE: War Memorial Stadium - Hampton, VA
RECORDS: Apprentice School 32-8, Thomas Nelson 8-11
RANKINGS: Apprentice School (#2 USCAA)
IN BRIEF: Seniors Chris Scarola and Devorn Lake along with junior Chris Aldridge had two hits each as the Apprentice School closed out its regular season with an 8-2 win over Thomas Nelson CC on Senior Night Tuesday.
- The Gators got on the board with an unearned run in the top of the first as Julian White reached on a walk and worked his way to third on a sacrifice bunt and fly out. Jamison Griffin reached on an error to plate White to give Thomas Nelson CC a 1-0 lead.
- Apprentice School answered quickly with a pair of runs in the bottom of the first inning. Trevin Wilson and Scarola reached on walks and scored on a one-out double from Lake.
- The hosts put two more runs up on the board in the bottom of the fifth as Wilson started with a double and Scarola drew his second walk of the day. After both advanced on a balk, Aldridge ripped a single to right field for a 4-1 lead.
- Thomas Nelson scored a run in the top of the seventh as Griffin opened with a walk and advanced on a sacrifice bunt from Paul Jones. Patrick Adams then doubled to left-center to score Griffin. Cody Norris, who pitched the sixth and seventh innings for the Builders then struck out the next two batters to stop that threat and keep TNCC trailing 4-2.
- Apprentice School put the game out of reach with a four-run seventh inning. Wilson walked and Scarola singled before Aldridge singled to score Wilson. Lake followed with a single up the middle to score Scarola and Aldridge to lead 7-2. The final run scored on an errant throw after a force out at home to give the Builders an 8-2 lead after seven innings.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Senior David Sebera started the game for the Builders and gave up one unearned run in 3.2 innings with three strikeouts. Freshman Kyle Clark followed him and threw 2.1 innings to earn the win to put his record at 3-0 on the year. Norris came in and gave up one run with three strikeouts in two innings before freshman Colton Copeland pitched the ninth and struck out two of the three batters he faced.
- The four RBI for Lake matched his season high set against Fulton-Montgomery on March 24, while his double made it four straight games where he has had a double.
- With his double, Lake now has 16 on the season which ranks him tied for sixth in the single season lists. He is three away from the record. He also cracked the single season top ten in runs batted in as his 41 is tied for tenth.
- The three RBI for Aldridge also matched his season high set twice earlier. Once was against potential first-round USCAA National Championship opponent Briarcliffe College on Feb. 24, while the other was against NCAA Division II Virginia State University on April 9.
The Builders will play in the sixth and final game of day one in the 2013 USCAA Small College World Series on Monday night at 9 pm in Butler, PA. They'll face the winner of #8-St. Joseph's-Brooklyn and #9-Briarcliffe College.