FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 7, Selma 4
WHERE: Pullman Park - Butler, Pa.
EVENT: USCAA Small College World Series
SEEDINGS: Apprentice (1), Selma (4)
RECORDS: Apprentice School 34-8, Selma 24-4
IN BRIEF: The Apprentice School took advantage of seven Selma University walks and three errors as they defeated the Bulldogs 7-4 in the USCAA Small College World Series Second Round on Tuesday afternoon.
- Selma (24-4) scored a run in the first as Mitchell Webb scored on a passed ball. The Builders responded with three in the bottom of the first on one hit as a pair of bases loaded walks to Brock Harris and Mark Labrador sandwiched a run scoring on an error to give the Apprentice school a 3-1 lead.
- The Bulldogs scored one in the fourth courtesy of two Apprentice School errors as Anthony Durant singled and two errant throws allowed the speedy Durant to score cutting the lead to 4-2.
- Apprentice School scored four runs in the bottom of the fourth on one hit. The Builders mixed in a pair of hit batters (Trevin Wilson, Chris Aldridge), a pair of walks (Devorn Lake and a bases loaded walk to Harris) , a balk to score Aldridge and then Hendrickson took a single down the left field line to score Harris and Lake to put the Builders up 7-2.
- A two-run single by Rico Herrera in the seventh brought Selma back to 7-4 and knocked out Taylor Gomer. He went six innings allowing five hits and four runs to put his record at 5-2. David Sebera came in for the Builders and earned his fourth save as he finished the game recording a double play ball and a groundout to end the game.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- This was the second time the Builders defeated Selma in the USCAAA Small College World Series as they scored a 3-0 win in the opening round of the 2011 championships.
- Wilson, Aldridge and Lake all had two runs scored, but only Wilson had hits other than Hendrickson as he went 2-for-3.
- Harris had a pair of bases loaded walks as he was officially 0-for-1 with three walks and two RBI.
Apprentice School will face the University of Cincinnati-Clermont (25-7-1) in the winners bracket final at 2pm on Wednesday afternoon. Clermont eliminated the Builders in the 2010 USCAA Championships 10-8 in the last meeting between the teams.