FINAL SCORE: Cincinnati-Clermont 6, Apprentice School 0
WHERE: Butler, PA – Pullman Park
EVENT: USCAA Small College World Series
RECORDS: Apprentice School 34-9, Cincinnati-Clermont 27-7-1
SEEDINGS: Apprentice School (1), Cincinnati-Clermont (3)
The Apprentice School suffered its first loss in the 2013 USCAA Small College World Series on Wednesday afternoon falling 6-0 to third-seeded Cincinnati-Clermont in the winners bracket final.
- The Cougars, on a 20-game winning streak, started the scoring in the second as Mike Gastrich smashed a solo home run to left field.
- Trevor Cunningham and John Cloyd followed with RBI singles to push the lead to 3-0 after two innings.
- An unearned run in the fourth gave Clermont a 4-0 lead before two more runs in the sixth as Cloyd and Jake Scarloto had RBI singles.
- Beard struck out five and walked one in his six-hit shutout for the Cougars. Trevin Wilson topped the Builders with a 2-for-4 performance.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- That was the second time this year the Builders were shutout as Christopher Newport shut out the Builders 8-0 on April 4.
- Apprentice School now is in the scenario that has decided the last two champions. Briarcliffe College won the 2011 title with three wins on the final day and Spalding University pulled the trifecta in 2012.
Apprentice School faces the winner of Penn State Greater Allegheny and Selma University on Thursday morning at 11 am for third-place in the tournament.