FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 4, St. Vincent 3
RECORDS: Apprentice School 17-8, St. Vincent 2-8
LOCATION: War Memorial Stadium/Hampton, VA
IN BRIEF: A two-out single from Mark Labrador in the bottom of the eighth scored the go-ahead run as the Apprentice School defeated St. Vincent 4-3 on Sunday afternoon.
ON THE FIELD
- Apprentice School gave up single runs in the third and fifth innings to the Bearcats as Chris Winkler singled in Luke Fox in the third and Greg Martin doubled in Vince Murphy in the fifth.
- The Builders tied the game with two in the bottom of the sixth. With one out, Trevin Wilson walked and went to third on a Chris Aldridge single. Brian Belvin followed with a single to right-center to score Wilson and move Aldridge to third. Christian Burton followed with a sacrifice fly to score Aldridge to tie the game at 2-all.
- St. Vincent responded with a run in the seventh as Collin Laguzza singled to right field to score pinch-runner Joey Fearer giving the Bearcats a 3-2 lead.
- In the home half of the seventh, the Builders started a comeback with a one-out single from Labrador and Thomas Dudley singled to right to put two on base. After a walk to Brock Harris to load the bases, Wilson forced out Harris on a ground out but Labrador scored to tie the game.
- The Builders scratched a run across in the bottom of the eighth as Burton had a one-out single to right and went to second on a Lee Rossi single. Following a lineout, Labrador took a 1-0 pitch into right field to score pinch-runner Jacob Countiss for the go-ahead run.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Chris Perry went 6.1 innings for the Builders striking out five and allowing three runs.
- Taylor Gomer came in with one out in the seventh inning and earned the win with 2.2 innings of one-hit relief. He also struck out five, including all three in the eighth.
- Belvin and Labrador were 2-for-4 apiece with each driving in a run for the Builders.
- Winkler and TJ Kuny had two hits each for St. Vincent (2-8) who went 0-4 in its swing to War Memorial Stadium this year.
NEXT UP – SALISBURY
The Builders get back into action on Tuesday afternoon at 2 pm when they'll face NCAA Division III 8th-ranked Salisbury University at War Memorial Stadium.