FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 9, Virginia State 0
RECORDS: Apprentice School 21-10, Virginia State 19-15
LOCATION: War Memorial Stadium/Hampton, VA
IN BRIEF: Three Apprentice School pitchers combined for a seven-hit shutout as the Builders defeated NCAA Division II Virginia State University 9-0 on Friday afternoon.
ON THE FIELD
- Each team had a pair of hits in the first inning and left both runners on base. In the second both teams went 3 up and 3 down.
- The Builders broke the scoreless run in the bottom of the third inning as with two outs, Brock Harris drew a four-pitch walk and stole second before Chris Aldridge reached on a two-base error to plate Harris for a 1-0 lead.
- In the fifth, the Builders put three runs on the board. Chris Perry started off reaching on an error and went to third as Trevin Wilson doubled to left center. After a walk to Harris, Aldridge singled to left center to score Perry. Brian Belvin drove in Wilson with a sacrifice fly to right field. Harris scored on a wild pitch later in the inning to give the hosts a 4-0 advantage.
- The next inning the Builders scored one early as Mark Labrador tripled to right field and scored on a Lee Rossi sacrifice fly to lead 5-0.
- Apprentice School broke the game open with four more runs in the eighth inning as Labrador opened with a double and scored on a Rossi single through the left side of the infield. After advancing to second on a wild pitch, Rossi scored as Aldridge reached on an error. Pinch-hitter Jordan Cowles then smacked a double to center field to score Jacob Countiss who had reached on a fielders choice to go up 8-0. The final run was scored by Aldridge on a wild pitch.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Taylor Gomer earned his fifth victory of the year throwing seven innings and allowing four hits while striking out four.
- He retired 12 batters in a row from the second through the fifth innings before a double from Jamison Griffin snapped that run to start the sixth inning.
- Colton Copeland pitched the eighth inning and gave up three hits, but worked out of a two-on, two-out situation by forcing a groundout to close that threat.
- Sam Massie threw the ninth inning and got a pair of groundouts to end the ballgame.
- Labrador was 3-for-4 with two runs scored, while Aldridge and Belvin had a pair of hits each.
- Seven different Trojans had a hit each for Virginia State who fell to 19-15.
NEXT UP – Thomas Nelson CC
The Builders continue their every-other-day playing run as they'll host Thomas Nelson CC on Sunday afternoon at 1 pm at War Memorial Stadium.
The defending champions University of Cincinnati-Clermont lead the first poll with Lindenwood University-Belleville (IL) a close second. Selma University (AL) is third with Penn State Greater Allegheny one point behind in fourth and the Builders in fifth.