FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 9, Christopher Newport 4
RECORDS: Apprentice School 24-11; Christopher Newport 23-16
LOCATION: War Memorial Stadium/Hampton, VA
IN BRIEF: A pair of two-run hits by Javier Remigio and Brian Belvin highlighted a five-run sixth as the Apprentice School knocked off Christopher Newport University 9-4 on Tuesday evening at War Memorial Stadium.
ON THE FIELD
- The Builders struck first with a run in the bottom of the first as Brock Harris started with a bunt single and stole second. He scored as Christian Burton reached on a single and the throw sailed past first base allowing Harris to score from second.
- In the second, the Builders pushed two more across as Lee Rossi and Trevin Wilson had one out singles and Zach Harding doubled to right center to plate Rossi. Harris singled to right field to score Wilson, but the Captains snared a potential run at the plate as Harding was thrown out trying to score on the play.
- In the third, the Builders got another unearned run for a 4-0 lead as Belvin was hit by a pitch and stole second. He went to third as the throw went into center field and later scored on a groundout from Burton.
- The Captains started a comeback in the fourth as they scored two runs on consecutive doubles from Curtis Pittman and AJ Nicely along with a run-scoring single from Paul Keyes, Jr. They scratched another run in the sixth as Nicely started the inning with a double and scored as Apprentice School starting pitcher Taylor Gomer struck out Tommy Kane and caught Andy Viands trying to steal second.
- Apprentice School broke the game open with a five-run sixth as Burton started with a walk and Mark Labrador moved him to third on a double. Remigio followed with a double to left center to clear the bases and he scored on a single from Lee Rossi. Belvin later followed with a single through the left side to score Trevin Wilson and Harding for a 9-3 lead.
- CNU scored a run in the seventh as Billy Steel tripled to start the inning and Jacob Houston followed with another triple to plate him.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- This marked the first win over Christopher Newport since April 5, 2001 and snapped a seven-game CNU winning streak over the Builders.
- Gomer raised his record to 7-2 on the year with 5.2 innings and striking out six. His seven wins are the most by a pitcher since Ethan Halberg won nine in 2010.
- Harris, Labrador, Rossi and Harding all had two hits for the Builders who out-hit the Captains 13-11.
- Steel was 3-for-4 to lead the Captains at the plate – he was a home run away from the cycle as he had a single, double and triple on the day.
NEXT UP – at Christopher Newport
These teams will play again on Wednesday afternoon at 3 pm at Captains Park on the CNU campus. It will be Senior Day for the Captains.