FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 3, Thomas Nelson CC 1
RECORDS: Apprentice School 26-11, Thomas Nelson CC 9-16
LOCATION: War Memorial Stadium/Hampton, VA
IN BRIEF: The Apprentice School closed out its regular season on Friday night with a 3-1 win over Thomas Nelson Community College on Senior Night at War Memorial Stadium.
ON THE FIELD
- The Apprentice School started scoring early in the first inning as Brock Harris and Chris Aldridge had doubles to start the inning. After a single from Brian Belvin moved Aldridge to third, he later scored as Christian Burton hit into a double play to give the Builders a 2-0 lead.
- In the second inning, Trevin Wilson had a one out double to left and went to third as Zach Harding reached n an error. Harris followed with a single up the middle to plate Wilson for a 3-0 lead.
- The Gators scored in the sixth inning as Teddy Bachet hit a one-out double to left and went to third on a single from Hunter Triplett. Michael Brumfield followed with a sacrifice fly to center to score Bachet for the 3-1 eventual final score.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- Pre-game ceremonies recognized the four Apprentice School seniors in the starting lineup – Wilson, Harding, Aldridge and starting pitcher Chris Perry. Each were taken out during an inning to a rousing round of applause.
- Perry went 3.2 innings allowing two hits and striking out four. He was followed by Ryland Edwards who went 2.1 innings with three hits allowed.
- Getting an innings worth of work were Kyle Clark and Kelmin Escalera with Escalera recording a strikeout.
- Sam Massie threw the ninth inning with two strikeouts to earn his school-record seventh save of the year. The previous record was his from last season with six saves.
- Harris was 3-for-4 with two doubles and a run batted in, while Aldridge was 2-for-4 with a double as the Builders out-hit the Gators 9-5.
NEXT UP – USCAA SMALL COLLEGE WORLD SERIES
The Builders learned on Friday afternoon that they are the #4-seed in the upcoming USCAA Small College World Series starting on May 12 in Springfield, Illinois. Apprentice School will face Briarcliffe College at 1:30 pm CDT on May 12 in the third game of a six-game day to start the event.