Updated with game location change
FINAL SCORE: Apprentice School 9, Cincinnati-Clermont 2
RECORDS: Apprentice School 28-12, Cincinnati-Clermont 25-10
EVENT: USCAA Small College World Series – Winners Bracket Semifinal
LOCATION: Jacksonville, IL. - Lenz Field
SEEDINGS: Apprentice School (4), Cincinnati-Clermont (1)
IN BRIEF: Brock Harris and Trevin Wilson each drove in two runs as Taylor Gomer threw a complete game on Tuesday afternoon as the Builders defeated top-seeded Cincinnati-Clermont 9-2 in the USCAA Small College World Series Winners Bracket Semifinal.
ON THE FIELD
- The Cougars scored a run in the bottom of the first inning as John Cloyd started with an infield single and went to third on a single by Jake Scarlato. Jay Schunk followed with a sacrifice fly to left field to score Cloyd for an early 1-0 lead.
- Apprentice School took a lead in the top of the fourth as they scored three runs on only one hit. Walks to Mark Labrador, Javier Remigio and Lee Rossi loaded the bases with one out. Trevin Wilson followed with a well-placed single down the right field line, in between three Cougars, to score Labrador to tie the game. Thomas Dudley drove in the next run with a sacrifice fly to right to plate courtesy-runner Thomas Richardson. A throw in an attempt to snare Rossi going to third went over the head of the third baseman to give the Builders a 3-1 lead.
- In the fifth, the Builders pushed the lead to 8-1 as they put up five runs. Labrador singled in Chris Aldridge who was hit by a pitch and later scored as Wilson reached on a fielders choice. Brock Harris later followed with a single to right field to score a pair of runs.
- The fifth run in the fifth inning scored as with the bases loaded a pitch got by the catcher for Cincinnati-Clermont. Pinch-runner Jacob Countiss tried to get back to third after going most of the way down the line. The Builders had two runners on a base, but the Cougars tagged the runner who was already back at the base and in the craziness a run scored.
- Cincinnati-Clermont scratched a run in the bottom of the seventh as Ryan Jessee beat out an infield single to score Mike Gastic.
BEHIND THE BOXSCORE
- The complete game for Gomer was his second of the season as he struck out eight and allowed five hits to raise his record to 8-2 on the year.
- He did not allow a base hit after the second batter of the game until a one-out single from Gastric in the bottom of the seventh.
- Labrador and Rossi had two hits and scored two runs each.
- Five Cougars had a hit apiece for Cincinnati-Clermont who entered as the top-seed and defending USCAA National Champions.
NEXT UP – Lindenwood-Belleville
The Builders will face second-seeded Lindenwood University Belleville (IL) on Wednesday afternoon in the winners bracket final against 12:30 pm CST. The Lynx defeated sixth-seeded St. Joseph's College Brooklyn 2-0.
The game site has been changed as the rest of the 2014 USCAA Small College World Series has been moved to Lenz Field in Jacksonville, Illinois.