NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – The Apprentice School men's basketball team had four players score in double-figures as they downed Stratford University 96-87 on Sunday afternoon.
ON THE COURT:
Coming off a tough loss to Bluefield State on Saturday, the teams battled back and forth in the first half before the Builders went on an 8-2 run in the 1:15 to take a six-point lead at the break. Both teams shot over 50% in the first half. Corey Joyner and Marion Moore led the Builders with 14 points apiece. The Builders opened the second half with a 13-5 run to extend their lead to 14, which was the largest of the game. Stratford pulled within seven points but a pair of Drew Walton layups put the Builders ahead with double-digits before cruising the rest of the way for the victory.
BEHIND THE BOX SCORE:
- Drew Walton led all scorers with 26 points and 15 rebounds, marking his sixth double-double of the season.
- Marion Moore added 21 points, the fifth time he has reached the 20-point plateau in a game this season.
- Corey Joyner added 19 points and five assists.
- Brandon Joyner came off the bench and added 16 points including a pair of three-pointers.
- The Builders outscored the Cardinals 44-42 in the paint and had a 40-31 advantage on the boards.
- Collectively, the Builders shot 52% from the field and went to the free-throw line 38 times, converting 25 free shots.
The Builders return to action on Wednesday night as they host Mid-Atlantic Christian at 7 p.m.