NEWPORT NEWS, Va. - Five players scored in double figures as The Apprentice School men's basketball team snapped a five-game losing streak with an 87-73 victory over Warren Wilson on Saturday afternoon.
ON THE COURT: The two teams battled back and forth in the first half with either team not having a lead more than than three points. The Builders shot 44% from the floor and was led by Marion Moore (11 points) and Corey Joyner (10 points) to hold a two-point lead at the break. The Owls shot 51% from the field but turned the ball over 13 times in the first stanza. The teams kept things close until the Builders went on a 17-4 run over the next five minutes to extend the lead to double-digits. Tied at 53 with just under 12 minutes remaining, Brandon Joyner sunk a three for a 56-53 lead. After a layup by the Owls, Brand Joyner made another three and Marion Moore added a layup for a six-point lead. After a layup cut the lead to four, Corey Joyner scored five straight points while Drew Walton and Marion Moore added layups to push the lead to 13. The Owls could not pull closer as the Builders converted their free-throws down the stretch to complete the season sweep of the Owls.
BEHIND THE BOX SCORE:
- While the first meeting between the tewo teams was a shootout with both teams eclipsing 100 points, both teams showed offense promise with both teams shooting over 40% from the floor.
- The Builders were led by Corey Joyner, who had a career-high 22 points and added five assists. He sunk four three-pointers en route to his career-high in points.
- Drew Walton was a force on the boards by grabbing 17 rebounds to go along with his 11 points. He also had five steals.
- Marion Moore added 18 pooints and fell just shy of a double-double with nine rebounds.
- Following his career-high 34 points in his previous game, Brandon Joyner came off the bench and added 13 points.
- The Builders forced 26 turnovers and scored 24 points off the miscues.
- The Owls out-rebounded the Builders 42-41 but the Builders had a 17-6 advantage in second chance opportunities.
- Warren Wilson was led by Jordan Gant, who had 26 points.
- The Builders football team was recognized at halftime as they won the 2018 NCFA National Championship.
The Builders return to action on Sunday afternoon as they host University of Maine-Fort Kent in a doubleheader with the women's team. The Lady Builders will face the Bengals at 2 p.m. with the men following at 4 p.m.