NEWPORT NEWS, Va. - The Apprentice School women's basketball used an 18-0 run in the first quarter to cruise to a 93-61 rout of Stratford University on Sunday afternoon.
ON THE COURT:
Trailing 8-4 early in the first quarter, the Lady Builders used an 18-0 run over a span of five minutes to jump out to a huge lead in the first quarter. Jordan Wilson scored 17 points in the first half to help the Lady Builders take a 20 point lead at the break. The Lady Builders had a big third quarter offensively and defensively to extend their lead. They held the Cardinals to only three field goals in the quarter as they built their lead to 41 points at one point in the quarter. The teams scored 18 points apiece in the final stanza but the Lady Builders had dominated the game and were able to snap a seven-game losing streak with their second victory over the Cardinals this season.
BEHIND THE BOX SCORE:
- Jordan Wilson led all players with 28 points and 14 rebounds.
- Aquazia Jones added 24 points and 10 rebounds.
- Latrice Washington dished out a game-high seven assists along with her 16 points.
- Alexis Wethington fell short of a double-double with 11 points and eight rebounds.
- The Lady Builders shot 45% from the field and dominated in the paint with a 38-18 advantage.
- Defensively, the Lady Builders forced 28 turnovers and scored 31 points off of the miscues.
The Lady Builders wrap up the year with a road matchup against Johnson & Wales on Tuesday evening at 6 p.m. After the holiday break, the team starts the New Year with a matchup at Methodist University on January 5th.