Jan 30, 2019
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. - The Apprentice School women's basketball overcame a double-digit deficit and earned a hard fought 70-66 victory over Methodist University on Wednesday evening.
ON THE COURT: Despite shooting a low 23% from the floor, the Lady Builders trailed by nine at the break. The Lady Builders forced 15 turnovers and converted them into 16 points. For majority of the second half, the Lady Builders kept cutting into the deficit before taking their first lead of the game on a fast break layup by Brittney Jones to put the Lady Builders ahead 60-59 with just under three minutes remaining. After a turnover, the Lady Builders recovered a rebound and Anastasia Tunis sunk a three-pointer to extend the lead to four points. Methodist responded with a layup and two free-throws to tie the game at 63 with under two minutes. Brittney Jones converted a layup and Methodist had multiple opportunities to tie the game but Alexis Wethington put the Builders up four with a layup. Alexis Wethington and Brittney Jones sunk free throws to ice the game and give the Lady Builders their third straight victory.
BEHIND THE BOX SCORE:
- Sabre Clegg led all scorers with 24 points and 16 rebounds, including eight offensive.
- Aquazia Jones added 17 points and had seven steals.
- Alexis Wethington posted a double-double with 13 points and 11 rebounds.
- Brittney Jones added 13 points for the Lady Builders.
- Anastasia Tunis added five rebounds and three points.
- Methodist outrebounded the Lady Builders 57-41 but only had 13 second-chance points to The Apprentice School's 12 points.
- The Lady Builders forced 23 turnovers and had 15 steals. They scored 23 points off the miscues.
- Methodist was led by four players who had 11 points each.
The Apprentice School wraps up their quick home stand with a 12 p.m. tip against Washington Adventist on Sunday afternoon. The two teams met earlier in the season with the Shock obtaining a 63-56 victory.